Back again, like the buses don't see one for ages then 3 come along together :)
After enjoying myself making, dyeing and painting for a couple of weeks,
I went to Manchester to meet up with my husband on his last weekend, he was at 'work' during the day and I had a lovely time roaming around Manchester, I had forgotten how much I like this city, I enjoyed the Picnic in the park at Piccadilly Gardens with great music and food on offer, the Lowry exhibition at Salford Quays.The Lowry Exhibition
and best of all the 62 Group @ 50 exhibition I arrived early I had plenty of time to look around and talk to Jae Maries who was stewarding that day, fabulous work on show, if you missed it it will be at the K&S shows later in the year62 group @50
Arriving home and getting back to normal I was back in the workroom ready to get some pieces finished,
I tried to start creating some fabric with the molding paste on Lutradur and couldn't get the tub open, I must have forgotten to rub the lid with Vaseline last time I used it,
being impatient and wanting to start work while I was in the mood I looked around to see what I could use and my eye fell on the PVA tub that I use in a lot of things I do lately, I use the builder grade which is quite thick, I spread it over my mask and left it to dry, I used the heat gun to burn away the Lutradur and the glue bubbled and flaked leaving an interesting texture.
The image is not as clean as when I use the molding paste on the masks but I really like the results like old paint flaking off walls and using different designs will possibly give a more worn and weathered look to the image.
I thought the surface needed a bit more texture so I added some Polyfilla powder to the PVA and after applying with the spatula tapped the surface to make it more textured, this was left to dry.
Once dry I burnt away the surface of the Lutradur, sample below.
As the PVA had worked so well on Lutradur I thought I would try it on scrim, PVA on its own was left to dry, the glue was barely visible when it dried but the result after painting was a delicate design showing up. I will take a few pictures once I have painted them some more.
I needed to find out if the PVA could be heat gunned on the scrim while it was wet and it worked, I kept flipping it from back to front while I was drying it and it was ready for painting within ten minutes.The down side of this is you have to be very careful when moving the scrim while wet as it can distort the design but if you are making fragments it won't matter, also if you use an ink or dye to colour the scrim the glue will go tacky while it is wet, it dries out okay though, acrylic paints dry brushed on the surface is fine.
This will be a good addition to my workshop as we can go ahead with the painting technique without waiting for the molding paste to dry or preparing samples ahead of time.