Sunday, April 06, 2008
Journal week 1
Last week I started Sue B's Journal class online, its good fun and a really great bunch of people on the course I decided with this course that each journal I make is going to be used, as I have made so many in the past that just sit on the shelf once I came home from a workshop.
For journal 1,
I wanted a sketchbook for a project I am working on based on the indigo cotton jackets that Japanese peasants wore, and repaired over and over again adding scraps of fabric with sashiko patterns. I have seen them described as Ranru, but not sure if this is the jacket style or the name given to the distressed effect the jackets create. something I need to look at in more depth.
I want to create a ragged look but with a more luxurious fabric using organza to start with, and trying to distress this in layers.
The cover is pelmet vilene painted with charcoal procion dye, and scraps of
organza bonded to the outside, I have only made one signature as the pages
are also pelmet vilene and I watered the charcoal to make lighter grey, but
thought it needed a punch of another colour, so added a violet dye,
I stitched the tag holder and pockets to the pages and the detail of the cut
out is from the edge of a Japanese vessel.
I haven't put the inside lining in yet or stitched the signature, as I think
I want to make the cover a bit more raggy, so may blast it with the heat
gun, I thought I had better take the pictures before I do this.
I made the cord for the cover by tearing strips of organza and roughly
stitching over the twisted cord, I could have twisted tighter to get a neater cord
but wanted a rough look, I haven't put a permanent closure as with adding
fabric samples and notes it will expand quite a lot, once its finished I may add
I have enjoyed making this journal, and it has set me off on all different
tangents, and also solved some questions along the way.